Thursday, March 31, 2011

Point of View Continued ...


To continue from Tuesday, here is yet another point of view or angle, totally different and focused on the water and stems.  These photographs could be compared to the different points of view you might use in a story.

I have a story I've been trying to write for several years now. My sister's accident when she was three. One draft is a poem, one is more a fictional account, and then another is totally fictional.

At some point, a writing instructor said to me to change it up and write in another POV other than my own to see where it wants to go.  There were more choices than I thought: my mother's, father's, sister who was hit, witness to accident, my point of view, or even the young man that caused the accident.  So which one would best tell my story or communicate what I want it to? 


A question all of us as artists in whatever medium have to answer at some point or another. Which rose picture perspective catches your eye the most? Or is the most asethetically pleasing and really highlights the essence of the rose?  A lot to think about.

3 comments:

  1. I read about a novelist, who drafted a memoir in third person. Then, changed the pronouns to I later. It's a concept I'm considering. Glad to meet you through the Writer Unboxed group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's a great POV. :) I love your pictures, too. Interesing and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still find myself amazed by how POV can so absolutely send a story in opposing directions. A while ago I was working on a novel that I liked, but somehow couldn't connect with. But then by handing off the POV from one character to another, who until then had just been standing idly by watching the action, turned a mostly stagnant story into something alive and breathing.

    ReplyDelete